Thursday, October 21, 2010

three

So I saw Tao Lin read a few days ago.
I attended a Tao Lin reading a few days ago.
Yes, that's the better sentence.

...And I was impressed. I think he's a straight-shooter, and that people don't like that. Especially literary people. I won't use the H-word. I think that because he's young and he draws little doodles and talks about hamsters, people expect him to be fun and funny. And it's not that he isn't, it's just not the look-what-I-can-do, spectacular sort of fun and funny.

This is what happened: he showed up, asked if it was okay to put his backpack on a particular chair (of course it was), refused most hospitalities provided by the establishment (beer, etc.), went "backstage" (washroom? Storage? It's a book store.) for fifteen minutes or so. Then he was introduced, went on stage and announced that after the reading there would be a Q & A session, and then he would sign books. Unusual for a book store reading, but pleasantly straightforward.

Tao Lin is a smart guy. Thoughtful and well-read. He answered questions impeccably, in that his answers were succinct and honest. "Do you prefer writing prose or poetry?" My question. I wanted to know. "I like both. It depends on the day." I got my answer. But do you know how rare and amazing an exchange like that is? When someone can ask a simple question and get a direct answer? That's what his writing is like, and why I like his writing. Critics have called him a "trickster," a "hustler." Fans want in on the Tao Lin awe-stravaganza. But he's just a guy. No, seriously. He's just a guy who's smart enough to self-promote and create buzz about himself and his books, smart enough to keep a distance from the Tao-Lin-giant-beach-ball being tossed around by the adoring and not-so-adoring public that so desperately wants to see its own reflection in his eyes.

I like Tao Lin, and that's enough, for me. I bought his book, and I think that's enough, for him.

See?

No comments:

Post a Comment